Most of the time, we’re all about natural foods and the least processed ingredients possible. We can feel good about that. It makes us happy to feed our babies things that are more natural and it makes us feel healthier to eat that same way ourselves.
Most of the time.
Then there are times when you totally miss, with the whole fiber of your being, miss Doritos. That happened to me today. I saw Doritos in a pantry that happened not to be mine and I so wanted some. I needed some. I had some.
A lot of people who are all about whole foods and natural eating would chide me for this little indulgence in crap food. That won’t happen here. Here at Kids in the Sink, our motto is everything in moderation. While we prefer to mostly feed our kids and ourselves things more natural than those processed orange triangles, we won’t judge you if you have a bag or two in your pantry. They’ve found their way into my pantry once or twice, too!
Along the same lines is this vegetarian Buffalo “Chicken” Wrap. It’s something I started eating in college because as a vegetarian in college, there were a lot of boxes of vegetarian junk food. Veggie chicken nuggets, veggie meat crumbles, veggie corn dogs, veggie hot dogs, and the list goes on and on. I wasn’t much for the vegetables back then. Oh, how the times have changed. Thank God!
Although the frequency with which one of those boxes of veggie buffalo wings ends up in my freezer has definitely decreased over the years, this wrap is something that I still come back to every once in a while to get my fix. It’s spicy and wonderful and makes a perfect quick lunch from time to time. Give it a shot, even if you’re not a vegetarian. Feel free to sub real chicken nuggets in and tell us how it goes if you do.
*We have a winner! The winner of the bench knife and wooden spoon giveaway is…….
My favorite kitchen utensil are tongs! Great giveaway!
Congratulations! Thanks for all of you who entered our first giveaway! Hopefully, we can continue to do more giveaways, with more and better prizes in the future! We appreciate all of our readers and all of your support as our little blog continues to grow! Manda, you should be contacted via email shortly!
Vegetarian Buffalo “Chicken” Wrap
Makes 1 wrap
1 large burrito-sized tortilla
A handful of spinach or romaine lettuce
2 tbsp shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese
1 tbsp Greek yogurt or sour cream
2-4 tbsp salsa, depending on your tastes
4 veggie buffalo chicken wings (we use Morningstar brand)
- Preheat oven or toaster oven to 375˚.
- Thaw veggie nuggets in the microwave by heating in the microwave for 20 seconds on each side, for a total of 40 seconds of microwave time.
- Transfer the thawed nuggets to a cookie sheet and put in oven. Bake for 10-15 minutes, turning once half way through, or until crispy.
- While nuggets are baking, prepare the wrap. Place handful of spinach or other lettuce in the middle of the tortilla.
- Once nuggets are crispy, place them on top of the spinach in the middle of the prepared tortilla. Top with cheese, Greek yogurt, and salsa to taste (Heather enjoys Texas Pete on hers). Wrap burrito tightly and cut in half to enjoy. Maybe even serve with some tortilla chips that aren’t Doritos. *wink*
Source: Kids in the Sink original