It’s National Grilled Cheese Day! We’re going to be like those trendy bloggers who are in the know about things like that and prepare in advance for things like Pi Day and National Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookie Day. Ok, I’m not sure if the last one is real or not because I made it up, but it should be! And really, we’re not that in the know because I didn’t know it was National Grilled Cheese Day until this morning when I was watching the news (and I use that term loosely because any news program that includes things such as National Grilled Cheese Day is very clearly lacking in actual news) during breakfast and it hit me, we HAVE to blog about this amazing grilled cheese I’ve been eating for weeks!
We’ve been meaning to blog about it because a fan of our Facebook page suggested that we make it and I bookmarked it a while ago because I had already seen it a few weeks before that. And then I made it. And my life was forever changed. Best. Sandwich. Ever. That is not an over-statement. I’ve never put a sandwich more delicious in my mouth than the one you see pictured here. Ever. In life. For real.
The first day I made it, I fell in love. And every time after that, it feels like the first time all over again. I used English Muffin Bread for the sandwich because it gets so crispy and crunchy when you grill it and the butter soaks into each little nook and cranny of the slice. It’s so ridiculous. If you haven’t made that bread yet, I strongly suggest making it and then immediately making this sandwich with it. Then there’s the jalapenos. Ohhhh, the jalapenos. I have a love affair with those too. And it just so happens that we’re going to be
attempting to grow growing jalapenos in the garden this year so I see a lot of these sandwiches in our future! I hope they’re in your future too. And so should you. Go now. Make it.
Jalapeno Popper Grilled Cheese
Makes 1 sandwich
2 slices crusty bread
2 jalapeno peppers, cut in half lengthwise and seeded
1 tbsp butter, at room temperature
2 tbsp cream cheese, at room temperature
1/2 cup shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese (I use slightly less than this but Heather doesn’t approve)
A few tortilla chips, crumbled
- Turn the broiler on and place jalapenos, cut side down, onto a baking sheet. I use my toaster over for this step and it works great. Broil peppers for about 10 minutes or until the jalapenos are blistered and skins are turning black.
- Let roasted peppers cool enough so that you can handle them easily. Gently peel off the blackened skins and discard. Set jalapenos aside.
- Slather one side of the bread with butter and the other side with cream cheese. Repeat with second slice of bread.
- Place half of the cheese on one slice, cream cheese side up. Then top with jalapenos, crushed chips and remaining cheese. Place the other slice of bread on top, buttered side up.
- Grill in skillet on medium heat, covered, until the first side is golden brown. The covering is integral here because, otherwise, the cheese doesn’t melt well. Flip the sandwich (carefully!) and grill to golden brown perfection.
Source: Barely adapted from Closet Cooking