Sometimes I feel so far away from God. So disconnected. And I can’t figure out why. I pray and it just seems like He doesn’t hear me. He is nowhere to be found. Prayers go unanswered. And I just feel alone.
Any time we are sinning, or disobedient, or just walking out of the will of God, we are automatically disconnected from Him. When Adam and Eve brought sin into this world, they also brought a disconnect with God that we will never fully have back until that wonderful day comes when we will join Him in heaven. But until then, we struggle. And often times, I don’t even realize that I am walking in such a way as to keep me farther away from the Lord.
Sometimes, that’s because I just don’t hear Him speaking to me. And sometimes, it’s because I just don’t want to. And unfortunately, more often than I’d like to admit, it’s because I never actually consulted Him in the first place. Sometimes I am discontented and uncomfortable in my life and I complain about and say God, why me? but I forget to actually sit down and have some quality time with the Lord and ask Him to help. Ask Him to reveal the areas in my life where how I’m living don’t line up with His will for me. To reveal those areas of my life where I am sinning or disobedient, even when I may not realize it.
⅔ cup shredded coconut
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
1 cup plain Greek yogurt
1 cup sugar, divided
3 large eggs
1 tsp grated key lime zest (we left this out because we didn’t have it and just put about 1 tsp key lime juice in the cake batter itself)
½ tsp vanilla extract
½ cup canola oil
cup freshly squeezed key lime juice
- Preheat the oven to 350° and grease and flour a loaf pan.
- Spread coconut out onto a baking sheet and bake for 10-15 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes until golden brown and toasted. Make sure to keep an eye on it because it can burn quickly.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the yogurt, ¾ cup sugar, eggs, lime zest, and vanilla extract.
- Slowly whisk the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until just incorporated. Then with a rubber spatula, fold in the canola oil until combined.
- Reserve 3 tbsp of the toasted coconut and fold the remaining coconut into the cake batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- While the cake is baking, combine the key lime juice and the remaining ¼ sugar into a small saucepan until the sugar has dissolved. This won’t take long, maybe 2-3 minutes.
- Cool the cake in the pan for 10 minutes. Place a cooling rack onto a rimmed baking sheet and put the still warm cake onto the rack. Poke a generous amount of holes into the cake (so as to get maximum absorption) with a toothpick, then pour the lime-sugar mixture over the cake. Top with remaining 3 tablespoons of toasted coconut.
- Allow the lime-sugar mixture to soak into the cake before cutting.
Source: Elly Says Opa!