There was an extra kid in the sink last night when we made these burritos for dinner so we put him to work. That kid was my (Heather) husband, David. His task: cheese grater.
In our experience, men are NOT good at grating cheese. David is no exception. But he wanted his credit, so we are giving it to him. When we called him out on his cheese grating skills (or lack thereof), he spun us a story about how technically perfect they were, down to the 53°(Celsius) angle he used. Celsius, of course, because he heated the cheese grater to 53° Celsius so as to make for an easier cheese grating experience. Which according to my calculations is 127.4° Fahrenheit.
That is one hot cheese grater.
But still, credit to my husband where credit is due. That cheese was grated to perfection.
On to the burritos. They called for chipotle in adobo, which we love for the smoky complexity it adds to any dish. This dish was no different and even though there was only a heaping teaspoon in our bean mixture, the smokiness still came through in every bite. We wanted it a little spicier and will probably add more next time, but you can really customize it to your tastes and liking. As mommies, this is another meal we appreciate for its flavor and quick prep time. We hope you enjoy it as much as we did.
-Heather and Melissa
Chipotle Bean Burritos
2 tsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp chile powder
1 tsp minced chipotle chile in adobo sauce
1 tsp ground cumin
¼ teaspoon kosher salt
⅓ cup water, chicken broth, or vegetable broth
1 15 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 15 oz. can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
6 tbsp salsa
6 10-inch flour tortillas
1 cup shredded cheese (We used cheddar)
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the garlic, chile powder, chipotle chiles, cumin, and salt and cook for about a minute, until fragrant.
- Add the beans and broth to the spice mixture and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and let simmer about 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, stir in the salsa, and mash lightly.
- Spoon some of the bean mixture onto the tortilla and top with cheese, spinach, yogurt, etc. Roll tightly and serve.
Source: Pink Parsley