We are finding ourselves slammed during these last few days before Christmas with a laundry list of things to bake, buy, and wrap. It seems like there just aren’t enough hours in the day to get everything done.
And sometimes, not enough energy.
With so many goodies and treats around this time of year, we can easily find ourselves eating a cookie here, a bit of dough there, until the bulk of our meals somehow consist mainly of sugar and butter. Now, that really sounds like a dream, but the responsible part of me knows we should really watch ourselves and eat in moderation and this salad is perfectly responsible.
It comes together so quickly and is great for a quick, healthy lunch or dinner. The vinaigrette is wonderfully tangy and the sun-dried tomatoes create a chewy texture to keep things exciting in this salad. You could really use any sort of green that you want, but salad makes us feel healthier since it’s a super green. And a healthy salad is justification for an extra cookie, right? Don’t answer.
-Heather and Melissa
Tortellini Spinach Salad
20 oz. package refrigerated cheese tortellini
1 (9 oz.) bag fresh baby spinach
1 jar of sun-dried tomatoes, rinsed and drained
½ cup crumbled feta cheese
9 tbsp balsamic vinegar
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 ½ tsp dried oregano
1 ½ tbsp tomato paste
Salt and pepper to taste
¾ cup olive oil
For the salad:
- Cook tortellini in boiling water according to package instructions until al dente.
- Drain and toss in olive oil to prevent sticking and let cool in colander.
- When pasta is cool, toss salad ingredients in a large bowl.
For the vinaigrette:
- Add all of the ingredients together in a blender or food processor except olive oil and blend until smooth. With the blender still on, slowly add the olive oil until well combined.
- Serve immediately over salad or refrigerate.
Source: Mel’s Kitchen Cafe