I have a confession to make. Sometimes, I enjoy soap operas.
Before you run away, let me explain!
Every weekday, I babysit mine and Melissa’s kids. At nap time, I usually am on the computer, doing things for the blog and half watching “The Chew” on ABC. Well, after “The Chew” goes off, “One Life to Live” comes on. I usually only see about the first 5 minutes, if that, but man, they really try to draw you in. There are custody battles and murders and yelling and crying. All in the first few minutes.
Today, there was a very stereotypical blonde hair stylist named “Roxie” absolutely crying in a hair salon about how one of her favorite “stories” was cancelled. And how the characters were more real than any people she encountered. And yesterday, they kept cutting to different people, old people, young people, men, women, watching the last episode of this show and being terribly overdramatic. Add to all of that the fact that they are all HORRIBLE actors and it really makes me want to see where these episodes are going to go. Sometimes.
But, I haven’t actually watched an episode yet. So don’t judge. Sit down and watch the first five minutes for yourself and see how those tricky people draw you in with their wild hand gestures and excited speech.
Since we are making confessions, I made these muffins. I am really starting to enjoy apple baked goods and I love vanilla so I decided to give these muffins a go. They only make about 4 muffins, which are perfect for me and my little man to enjoy together, and they are wicked quick to whip up. They were full of flavor and chewy and the glaze only made it that much better. If you’re wanting something fancier than cereal and have a few extra minutes in the morning, these muffins should definitely make an appearance on your breakfast plate.
Apple Cinnamon Muffins with Vanilla Glaze
½ cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
½ tsp cinnamon
Pinch of nutmeg
¼ cup milk
1 egg, beaten
1 tbsp butter, melted
½ apple, finely grated
1 tbsp sugar
½ cup powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1-2 tsp milk
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Grease 3-4 muffin cups of a muffin tin and set aside.
- Mix together the flour, baking powder, salt, and spices.
- Add the milk and egg to the dry ingredients and mix until combined.
- Add the melted butter, apple, and sugar to the bowl and stir until combined.
- Fill 3-4 muffin cups about 3/4 of the way full and bake for 20 minutes or until the tops are golden brown.
- Let cool in pan for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- While the muffins are cooling, combine the powdered sugar with the vanilla and milk and whisk together. Add a teaspoon of milk at a time until a desired consistency is reached. Drizzle over muffins and let glaze harden. Or if you’re in a messier mood, eat right away.
Source: Pinch of Yum